Abstract and key points
- Therapeutic touch is a type of energy healing technique.
- There is currently no strong evidence that Therapeutic Touch is an effective supportive cancer care modality.
- There are no known safety concerns.
- Based on the limited number of trials, it is not possible to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of Therapeutic Touch for people with cancer.
Therapeutic Touch is a type of hand-mediated “energy healing” technique.
Although results from two randomized controlled trials and one small preliminary trial suggest that therapeutic touch may have positive effects on pain and fatigue there is currently no strong evidence that it is an effective modality for supportive cancer care. Only few trials per outcome are available and all trials have methodological limitations. One trial of therapeutic touch for chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting suggest non-specific effects while one case-control study reports no positive effects on radiotherapy-induced dermatitis.
No serious safety concerns are known.
CitationHelen Cooke, CAM-Cancer Consortium. Therapeutic Touch [online document]. http://cam-cancer.org/The-Summaries/Mind-body-interventions/Therapeutic-Touch. January 20, 2017.
Most recent revision and update in November 2016 by Helen Cooke and Barbara Wider.
Updated in July 2014 by Helen Cooke.
Summary first published in September 2012, authored by Helen Cooke.
- Pierce B. The use of biofield therapies in cancer care. Clin J Oncol Nurs 2007; 11(2):253-258
- Coakley AB, Barron AM. Energy therapies in oncology nursing. Semin Oncol Nurs 2012; 28(1):55-63.
- Jackson E, Kelley M, McNeil P, Meyer E, Schlegel L, Eaton M. Does therapeutic touch help reduce pain and anxiety in patients with cancer? Clin J Oncol Nurs 2008; 12(1):113-120.
- Therapeutic Touch website: http://www.therapeutictouch.org/what_is_tt.html [Accessed 19 August 2016]
- Kelly AE, Sullivan P, Fawcett J, Samarel N. Therapeutic touch, quiet time, and dialogue: perceptions of women with breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2004; 31(3):625-631.
- Agdal R, von BH, Johannessen H. Energy healing for cancer: a critical review. Forsch Komplementmed 2011; 18(3):146-154
- Jhaveri A, Walsh SJ, Wang Y, McCarthy M, Gronowicz G. Therapeutic touch affects DNA synthesis and mineralization of human osteoblasts in culture. J Orthop Res 2008; 26(11):1541-1546.
- Molassiotis A et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in cancer patients: a European survey. Annals of Oncology 2005; 16: 655-653
- Tabatabaee A, Tafreshi MZ, Rassouli M, Aledavood SA, AlaviMajd H, Farahmand SK. Effect of therapeutic touch on pain related parameters in patients with cancer: a randomized clinical trial. Mater Sociomed 2016;28:220-3.
- Aghabati N, Mohammadi E, Pour Esmaiel Z. The effect of therapeutic touch on pain and fatigue of cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2010;7:375-81.
- Matourypour P, Zare Z, Mehrzad V, Musarezaie A, Dehghan M, Vanaki Z. An investigation of the effects of therapeutic touch plan on acute chemotherapy-induced nausea in women with breast cancer in Isfahan, Iran, 2012-2013. J Educ Health Promot. 2015 Aug 6;4:61. eCollection 2015.
- Matourypour P, Vanaki Z, Zare Z, Mehrzad V, Dehghan M, Ranjbaran M. Investigating the effect of therapeutic touch on the intensity of acute chemotherapy-induced vomiting in breast cancer women under chemotherapy. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2016 May-Jun;21(3):255-60.
- Vanaki Z, Matourypour P, Gholami R, Zare Z, Mehrzad V, Dehghan M. Theraeutic touch for nausea in breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapy: Composing a treatment. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2016;22:64-8.
- Giasson M, Bouchard L. Effect of therapeutic touch on the wellbeing of persons with terminal cancer. J Holist Nurs. 1998;16:383–98.
- Younus J, Lock M, Vujovic O, Yu E, Malec J, D'Souza D, et al. A case-control, mono-center, open-label, pilot study to evaluate the feasibility of therapeutic touch in preventing radiation dermatitis in women with breast cancer receiving adjuvant radiation therapy. Complement Ther Med 2015;23(4):612-6.
- Tabatabaee A, Tafreshi MZ, Rassouli M, Aledavood SA, AlaviMajd H, Farahmand SK. Effect of Therapeutic Touch in Patients with Cancer: a Literature Review. Medical Archives (Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina). 2016;70(2):142-7.
- Gonella S, Garrino L, Dimonte V. Biofield therapies and cancer-related symptoms: a review. Clinical Journal Oncology Nursing. 2014;18(5):568-76. Epub 2014/09/26
- Jain S, Mills PJ. Biofield therapies: helpful or full of hype? A best evidence synthesis. Int J Behav Med 2010; 17(1):1-16
The present documentation has been compiled by the CAM-CANCER Project with all due care and expert knowledge. However, the CAM-CANCER Project provides no assurance, guarantee or promise with regard to the correctness, accuracy, up-to-date status or completeness of the information it contains. This information is designed for health professionals. Readers are strongly advised to discuss the information with their physician. Accordingly, the CAM-CANCER Project shall not be liable for damage or loss caused because anyone relies on the information.