Abstract and key points
- Ukrain is a drug based on the extract of the plant Chelidonium majus L (greater chelandine).
- Data from pre-clinical studies and randomised clinical trials seem encouraging but several limitations prevent any conclusion.
- Safety concerns exist for certain components of Ukrain.
Ukrain is a drug based on the extract of the plant Chelidonium majus L (greater chelandine). It is claimed to be effective against a range of cancers.
Numerous pre-clinical and clinical investigations seem to suggest that Ukrain is pharmacologically active and clinically effective. Data from randomised clinical trials suggest Ukrain to have potential as an anticancer drug. However, several limitations in the studies prevent any conclusion.
No serious adverse effects are on record for Ukrain but warning must be given for certain components of Ukrain. These include Chelidonium majus (greater celandine) for which reports of hepatitis exist, and thiophosphoric acid. Mild to severe adverse events such as tumour bleeding and liver toxicity have been reported.
CitationKatja Boehm, Edzard Ernst, CAM-Cancer Consortium. Ukrain [online document]. http://cam-cancer.org/The-Summaries/Herbal-products/Ukrain. January 29, 2015.
Assessed as up to date in January 2015 by Barbara Wider.
Assessed as up to date in August 2013 by Barbara Wider.
Most recent update and revision in May 2012 by Katja Boehm.
Fully revised and updated in July 2009 by Katja Boehm.
Summary first published in November 2005, authored by Katja Boehm and Edzard Ernst.
- Weiss RF. Herbal Medicine. Gothenburg, Sweden: Ab Arcanum and Beaconsfield, UK: Beaconsfield Publishers Ltd, 1985, 84–8.
- Panzer A, Hamel E, Joubert AM, Bianchi PC, Seegers JC. Ukrain (TM), a semisynthetic Chelidonium majus alkaloid derivative, acts by inhibition of tubulin polymerization in normal and malignant cell lines. Cancer Lett 2000;160(2):149-57.
- Panzer A, Joubert AM, Eloff JN, Albrecht CF, Erasmus E, Seegers JC. Chemical analyses of Ukrain, a semi-synthetic Chelidonium majus alkaloid derivative, fail to confirm its trimeric structure. Cancer Lett. 2000;160(2):237-41.
- van Maanen MJ, Huitema AD, Rodenhuis S, Beijnen JH. "Urinary excretion of thioTEPA and its metabolites in patients treated with high-dose cyclophosphamide, thioTEPA and carboplatin". Anticancer Drugs 2001;12 (6): 519–24.
- US 2006/0154947 A1 (2006-06-13) Wassyl Nowicky, Quaternary chelodine and alkaloid derivates, processes for their preparation and their use in manufacture of medicaments. [Patent]
- Susak YM, Zemskov VS, Yaremchuk OY, et al. Comparison of chemotherapy and x-ray therapy with Ukrain monotherapy for colorectal cancer. Drugs Exptl Clin Res 1996;22:115–22.
- Uglyanitsa KN, Nefyodov LI, Doroshenko YM, Nowicky JW, Volchek IV, Brzosko WJ, Hodysh YJ. Ukrain: a novel antitumour drug. Drugs Exp Clin Res 2000;56:347-56.
- Colombo ML, Bosisio E. Pharmacological activities of Chelidonium majus L. (papaveracea). Pharmacol Res 1996;33:127-34.
- Jagiello-Wojtowicz E, Kleinrok Z, Urbanska EM. Ukrain (NSC-631570) in experimental and clinical studies: a review. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1998;24:213-9.
- Panzer A, Joubert AM, Bianchi PC, Seegers JC. The antimitotic effects of Ukrain, a Chelidonium majus alkaloid derivative, are reversible in vitro. Cancer Lett. 2000;150(1):85-92.
- http://www.ukrin.com/ (accessed 8 May 2012)
- http://www.open-cc.com/English/1_04.asp (Accessed on 8 May 2012)
- http://ukrin.com/en/european-court (accessed 8 May 2012)
- Hopf G. Ukrain® - Fortschritt oder Rückschritt in der medikamentösen Therapie onkologischer Erkrankungen? Deutsche Zeitschrift für Onkologie 2002;34:31-6.
- Ernst E. Schmidt K. Ukrain – a new cancer cure? A systematic review of randomised clinical trials. BMC Cancer 2005;5:69-75.
- Susak YM, Yaremchuk OY, Zemskov VS, Kravchenko OB, Liepins A, Yatsyk IM et al. Randomised clinical study of Ukrain on colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer 1995;31:S153 Abstract 733.
- Susak YM, Zemskov SV, Yaremchuk OY, Kravchenko OV, Yatsyk IM, Korsh OB. Comparison of chemotherapy and X-ray therapy with Ukrain monotherapy for colorectal cancer. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1996;22:115-22.
- Bondar GV, Borota AV, Yakovets YI, Zolotukhin SE. Comparative evaluation of the complex treatment of rectal cancer patients (chemotherapy and X-ray therapy, Ukrain monotherapy). Drugs Exp Clin Res 1998;24:221-6.
- Uglyanitsa KN, Nechiporenko NA, Nefyodov LI, Brzosko WJ. Ukrain therapy of stage T1NOMO bladder cancer patients. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1998;24:227-30.
- Zemskov VS, Procopchuk OL, Susak YM, Zemskov SV, Hodysh YY, Zemskova MV. Ukrain (NSC-631570) in the treatment of pancreas cancer. Drugs Exp Clin Res 2000;26:179-90.
- Uglyanitsa KN, Nefyodov LI, Brzosko WJ. Comparative evaluation of the efficiency of various Ukrain doses in the combined treatment of breast cancer. Report I. Clinical aspects of Ukrain application. Drugs Exp Clin Res 2000;26:223-30.
- Zemskov SV, Prokopchuk O, Susak Y, Zemskov S, Tkachenko O, Hodysh Y et al. Efficacy of Ukrain in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2002;387:84-9.
- Gansauge F, Ramadani M, Pressmar J, Gansauge S, Muehling B, Stecker K, Cammerer G, Leder G, Beger HG. NSC-631570 (Ukrain) in the palliative treatment of pancreatic cancer. Results of a phase II trial. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2002;386:570-4.
- Arzneimittelbrief. Phase-II-Studie zur Behandlung des fortgeschrittenen, inoperablen Pankreaskarzinoms mit Ukrain. AMB 2002;(5):39a.
- Der Spiegel (20. September 2008). Berühmter Chirurg soll wissenschaftliche Studien manipuliert haben. Spiegel 39/2008.
- Aschhoff B. Retrospective study of Ukrain treatment in 203 patients with advanced-stage tumors. Drugs Exptl Clin Res 2000;25:249-52.
- Gansauge F, Ramadani M, Schwarz M, Beger HG, Lotspeich E, Poch B. The clinical efficacy of adjuvant systemtic chemotherapy with gemcitabine and NSC-631570 in advanced pancreatic cancer. Hepato-Gastroenterology 2007;54:917-20.
- Prokopchuk OL, Zemskov SV, Susak YM. Ukrain treatment in a patient with metastatic renal cell carcinoma extending to the vena cava inferior. Case report. Drugs Exp Clin Res 2000;26:257-9.
- Prokopchuk OL, Zemskov SV, Susak YM. Ukrain treatment of a patient with retroperitoneal synovial sarcoma. Case report. Drugs Exp Clin Res 2000;26:255-6.
- Zemskov SV, Prokopchuk OL, Susak YM. Ukrain treatment in a patient with breast carcinoma. Case report. Drugs Exp Clin Res 2000;26:253-4.
- http://www.ukrain.ua/enclosures/nci_cell_line.pdf (accessed on 8 May 2012)
- Habermehl D, Kammerer B, Handrick R, Eldh T, Gruber C, Cordes Net al. Proapoptotic activity of Ukrain is based on Chelidonium majus L. alkaloids and mediated via a mitochondrial death pathway. BMC Cancer 2006;6:14.
- Cordes N, Plasswilm L, Bamberg M, Rodemann HP. Ukrain, an alkaloid thiophosphoric acid derivative of Chelidonium majus L. protects human fibroblasts but not human tumour cells in vitro against ionizing radiation. Int J Radiat Biol 2002;78(1):17-27.
- Susak YM, Skivka LM, Rudik MP, Pozur VV, Liubunya AV, Susak YM et al. Comparative investigation of the effect of Ukrain on growth of ascite and solid forms of Ehrlich's carcinoma. Experimental Oncology 2010; 32(2):107-110.
- Banerjee A, Pathak S, Biswas SJ, Roy-Karmakar S, Boujedaini N, Belon P et al. Chelidonium majus 30C and 200C in induced hepato-toxicity in rats. Homeopathy: the Journal of the Faculty of Homeopathy 2010; 99(3):167-176.
- Funel N, Costa F, Pettinari L, Taddeo A, Sala A, Chiriva-Internati M et al. Ukrain affects pancreas cancer cell phenotype in vitro by targeting MMP-9 and intra-/extracellular SPARC expression. Pancreatology 2010; 10(5):545-552.
- Moro PA, Cassetti F, Giugliano G, Falce MT, Mazzanti G, Menniti-Ippolito Fet al. Hepatitis from Greater celandine (Chelidonium majus L.): Review of literature and report of a new case. J Ethnopharmacol 2009;124(2):328-32.
- Danysz A, Kokoschinegg M, Hamler F. Clinical studies of Ukrain in healthy volunteers (phase1). Drugs Exp Clin Res 1992;18:39-43.
- Stickel F, Seitz HK, Hahn EG, Schuppan D: [Liver toxicity of drugs of plant origin]. Z Gastroenterol 2001; 39(3):225-227.
The present documentation has been compiled by the CAM-CANCER Project with all due care and expert knowledge. However, the CAM-CANCER Project provides no assurance, guarantee or promise with regard to the correctness, accuracy, up-to-date status or completeness of the information it contains. This information is designed for health professionals. Readers are strongly advised to discuss the information with their physician. Accordingly, the CAM-CANCER Project shall not be liable for damage or loss caused because anyone relies on the information.